[PnP] Re: Navigation Woes

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Sun Oct 1 06:49:16 CEST 2006

It is hard to place myself in the position of someone NOT having the
skills I have. Born and raised in Alaska I have also done enough hiking
and camping to have tired of it. I have never studied navigation as such
(I certainly don't know spherical trig.) but have picked up enough
tricks of the trade to be able to go cross-country fairly well. I might
not be able to cross 100 miles of wilderness without getting lost but I
suspect I could if there were decent reference points visible.

South of my house is the Alaska Range. Large mountains (5,000+ meters)
that tell you which way is south if you can see them. They are 70+ miles
away and I can see them quite well. If your vision is blocked by hills
you need only get to a ridgeline to see the shape of nearby hills and
ridges...this should tell you where you are if you are even mildly
familiar with the area. If lost, one can follow water downstream and you
will eventually get to a settlement in all but the least settled areas
on this planet.

It is hard for me to imagine being some city dweller that has no clue
how to tell direction in the wilderness. But yeah, I suspect that I have
a better survival skill in hills and forests thatn many city dwellers.

Perhaps using 10 x survival skill would work as well?