[PnP] protecting against or dispelling shadow magic

Wout Broere broere at powersandperils.org
Thu Oct 5 09:32:51 CEST 2006

At 23:40 04/10/2006, you wrote:
>I'd think since Shadow magic isn't aligned with any of the others,
>any D/B or Protection spell of one of the "alignments" should take
>the MDV penalty, especially when you consider Shadow's position
>against both Light and Darkness (Law/Chaos). Shadow seems to me to
>be inimical to anything that is not Shadow.

I would take the same position. Shadow is a separate alignment that
is opposed to all other alignments when considering bonuses or
penalties between alignments. In the list of alignments in PnP
version 2 Book II: Magic by Richard, Shadow is listed at the same
level as Neutral.

In the description of the first special site on
http://abroere.xs4all.nl/pnp/lands/S_SitesWL.htm the realm of Shadow
is said to border on Law and Chaos. That would fit the description of
Shadow battling both Light and Darkness.

When considering alignments in the sense of conflicts, Shadow is
unaligned, as are humans. A magic user learning only Shadow Magic is
considered unaligned if for instance a Mana Reading is performed.
Other magic users would show up as aligned to their respective
alignment, but Shadow MUs would show as unaligned.

Only if a Shadow MU takes a second magical path, e.g. trains as a
Balance MU, he or she will be aligned with that alignment.

Wout

Wout Broere		broere at powersandperils.org
P&P Website:		http://www.powersandperils.org/