[PnP] Navigation Woes

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Sat Sep 30 05:59:37 CEST 2006

I did get the pdf. It makes more sense when looking at the pdf.

Navigation is an 'or 80' skill, Survival is a regular skill (typical
value of 6). The grid has difficulty ranging from 1 to 100. Except in
plains or desert during the daytime that gives the world's best
navigator (without survival skill) a 20% chance to get lost each hex.
Far too big a chance of being lost in my opinion.

Off the top of my head I would be more inclined to use 11d10-10, where
the odds of getting extremes in difficulty would be quite low. Either
way this system would REQUIRE someone in the party to have Navigation
skill if the party ever leaves the coast or roads. Otherwise the party
will be lost most of the time.

Given any landmarks (sun, distant mountain, etc.) the odds of getting
lost should be quite low. Perhaps I or Em should be added to the
effective Navigation skill. Only when darkness, bad weather or total
lack of landmarks is present should the chance of being lost be anywhere
near this high.

It might work fine if you cut in half the chance of being lost. It is a
nice idea, presented well...but I don't think I would use your
navigation matrix without modification.
                                    Alex Koponen