[PnP] noob questions part V - bride of son of uncle of noob questions...

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Nov 13 21:18:54 CET 2007

At 06:34 AM 11/13/07, you wrote:
>Hiya.
>
>   Ahhh...I see now. :) Whups!
>
>   Honestly, I run it on a "does this make sense at this particular
>moment" method. I tell my players each time we start a campaign: A
>weapon/armor/item will break only if it strikes/is hit by something that
>could likely break it.
>
>   What that means is that if you have a Battle Axe, and you strike at a
>tree, and do 40damage...your Battle Axe does NOT break. Why? Common
>sense. An axe is meant to cut into wood, and the wood is going to give
>way to the steal of the axe every time. Now, if that same swing
>connected with an ogres thigh, the Battle Axe would also NOT break. Why?
>It's a nice, meaty thigh; even softer than wood. Next, the same hit
>connects with a knight in full plate...and the result is; the BA breaks,
>and the armor takes a lot of damage.
>
>   Yes, it is a bit 'fast and loose', but it keeps weapons and armor
>around longer....and if I came up with some detailed formula to
>calculate item material damage vs. item material damage, it would slow
>the game waaaaay down and I'd just end up 'using common sense' anyway. :)
>
>Paul L. Ming

Good way to go.  But all above can still damage a weapon and break it.  Its not the point of impact that suddenly breaks a weapon.  Its the
effects of cumulative damage.  A Axe after1000 cuts of trees or 500 redwood sized trees gets dull and minute cracks in its structure which cna add up to break a blade even one that slices through wood like a hand does through air.  So in an axe is the damage and cracks built up over time that kills a blade not usually one strike.  So this is why there is a the FV reduction.

.