[PnP] Weight Challenged...

Dan Abbott dabbott68_bmd2 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 02:11:52 CEST 2007

Someone previously mentioned doing something with Clydesdales... As I understand it the various types of horse (i.e. Warhorse I, Warhorse II, etc.) represent different species.  Ergo doesn't the logic follow that the Warhorse IV is the Clydesdale?  That's what they were originally bred for after all and it's supposed to be the largest breed.

  As for horses for giants, a giant in P&P is so big that no naturally occurring horse could carry them.  When you can pick the animal up in one hand it just doesn't follow that you could possibly ride it regardless of how much weight it can handle.  That said, it is extremely plausible that some giant somewhere either made himself or forced a mage to make for him a breed of giant horses.  Such beats would be huge and nearly impossible for normal sized characters to ride.  Failing that the Wooly Mammoth mount idea isn't bad.

  Also, I think this whole thread started over someone looking for mounts for plus-sized characters.  Briefly mentioned under the animal portage table in Book 1 is a rule which allows for larger or superior specimens within each breed of horse.  A superior horse can carry (saddled weight + (2 x parenthesized value)) and costs twice as much.  If you want to go even further you could make a remarkable horse which costs 4x as much but also can add 4x the paren value to its capacity.  For a Warhorse IV that bumps you up to a 490lb carry weight.  Now if your character is bigger than that then he's just going to have to accept that no horse short of a magically created one will bear him.  It's one of the drawbacks picked up along with the advantages of being that big.

  Scott Adams <longshot at darktech.org> wrote:
  At 03:01 AM 9/3/07, you wrote:
>Horses are quadrapeds (double their portage), and are assumed to have maximum carry. Try your figures now. (I don't have my books handy atm, I assumed 17 Stamina)
>74 (from below) + 22 Carry = 96, x2 (Quadraped) = 192. No slowing for carrying a NORMAL SIZED adult man with a little bit of cargo (a loaded pouch or two). Slowing occures beyond this point. I've always used this, it was presented (the doubling portion) in a different game (I do not recall which) with about a full printed page explaining why. These giants that often enter PnP will need physically more powerful horses. Apply the Modifying Creatures for up to +100% Str and Sta, reducing speed to 70%. This way, if you are under 400 pounds (with gear), the horse barely notices you. Picking one this size, however, counts as a quality modifier, I would go with cost x5. And reduced availability

That's some good idea. Didn't think on the Quad thing. Makes sense.
I just keep recalling Mongo riding in on his ox in Blazing Saddles :)

I'll have to think on it and come up with some rare horses in the ranches for Giants :)