[PnP] noob questions part III - Son of Noob Questions

Albert Sales drite_mi at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 05:56:29 CEST 2007

If I recall, there is a shadow spell that gives back some energy (I've not used that in some time now).  Potions can be made to restore energy level.  Other than that, yes, the regen for energy is slow.  That's why you never want to lose more than a little bit.  - (House rule) Wounds can replenish energy level if the Wounds spell was cast from energy level (ie, innate or natural magician) on a severe or deadly hit. -

  Per standard rules, the only way energy level effects or is affected by trained magic is to limit the cast ability usable in one day (not the overall cast ability, to be clear), or to be damaged in abysmal failure.  - I have a few house rules that increase the sting of certain spells (summoning or anything permanent) to drain some energy.  Some permanent magic castings, I also require sacrificing points from Will and a minimum EnL of sacrificed creatures. -  However, per standard rules, energy level just sets daily limits.

  A question from me:  Lethal poisons deal energy damage on success.  Non-lethal poisons deal other effects on success.  However, on failure (not abysmal), an energy damage is listed for poisons in general.  I was curious how other referees handle this.  I list it as damage on the side, and when the total excedes current energy level, the effect of poison success occurs.  I fade this accumulation at a rate of Poison Resistance per minute.  (In truth, I have modified the effects of all effect-poisons to be based on an accumulation, and and set a fade-rate for many of them for the purpose of establishing duration.  I also worked up some cumulative effects for partial poisoning.)

  Energy effects:  They cause death you can never recover from.  They recover at a dreadful rate. These factors strike fear into the hearts of mages and warriors alike.  If tyou ever want to reduce the number of casters in a game, add something like, the BMC of a spell (or the EL) is deducted from energy level as well (this was a side-effect of non-chaos magic I worked into a L'p'n'th shrine once; a much worse result came from failure/ abysmal failure).  You will see magic use diminish greatly.  For the other energy effects, think of how the players react to them.  These are not pretty things, and are typically recieved with quite a bit of revulsion.  Hitting your players energy (or giving a main enemy energy level attack spells) is a good way to slow them down and make them say ouch, thinking twice before continuing on a path.  Energy is vital, and damage to it HURTS.  I like the slow energy recovery for this reason, so I typically don't mess with the rules on it much.

Scott M <scottee.mac at gmail.com> wrote:
  Yes, it's a franchise now. Buy the action figures while you can...

1) Would a character with innate abilities ONLY get energy back via a
daily energy roll (he gets 1d6 back if a roll of d100 minus EL is less
than Con)? In other words, he doesn't use the Mana regeneration rules
unless he is also a magic user? Also, I assume that roll is daily - it
never really specifies that I can find.

2) For magic users, the energy level is never affected by spell
casting, correct? Of course the casting ability can never exceed the
energy level, but mana used on a spell is only deducted from the
casting ability, not from the energy level. Unlike for characters with
innate powers (who are not magic users), who deduct from Current
Energy Level.