[PnP] noob questions part IV - Bride of Noob Questions

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 01:51:19 CEST 2007

Tobie brings up another point.  Nobody likes to be the "caddie" of
the group.  I have seen to many other games where one player rolled a
really powerful character, while everyone else was fairly average.
It became difficult to balance because what would challenge the big
guy would likely wipe out the lessers.

I think at one point I tried a "karma" system where I allowed a few
re-rolls for each rolling point (optional).  Each reroll was a point
of "bad karma" that was used against the character durring game
play.  Anytime they made a 2d10 or d100 roll and rolled doubles I had
the option of forcing them to reroll, at the expense of paying off
one karma.  GM control allowed me to dictate that karma not be burned
on frivolous rolls, and only one karma could be recovered in any
single event roll.  Once paid, they no longer had to worry about
this.  They could also optionally take a reroll on their own if they
roll doubles and the result is a success, giving them positive
karma.  Later on they could expend a good karma to make a single
reroll if they failed on something.