[PnP] noob questions part IV - Bride of Noob Questions

Dan Abbott dabbott68_bmd2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 19:14:30 CEST 2007

1) Do any of you use variations of character generation? I love the
complete randomness of it and I like that everybody usually gets
something about their character they don't like but have to role play
around. Yet occasionally, someone wants to make some kind of magic
user and gets a 3, 4, 5 in Intelligence, Will, and Empathy
respectively. Have you guys had a lot of problems with over powered
characters if, for example, you allowed your players to swap one score
with any other score? Or allowed two sets of rolls and allowed them to
choose the better?

  For our game the GM allowed you, 3 times, to switch 2 natives.  That way you had to accept some of your rolls but if you wanted a stat critical to your chosen class to be better you could pull it from somewhere else.  Also, if he thought one or more of the characters was far more powerful than the party average he might have the weaker players reroll low stats to bring them in line.  Finally he would just go through and pick out the 1 to 4 lowest natives based on how low they were and have you reroll those.  It's worked out very well to date.

  2) When creating magic users, as they buy their initial spells, do
they buy that at the "instructed" rate or the "alone" rate? Oddly, the
book does not specify. On the one hand, characters would start with a
whole lot of spells if they bought them all at the discount rate, yet
the apprenticeship does seem like the very definition for instructed.
So I'm curious what you all are doing.

  The master vs. personal study issue is covered in the amount of points they have to spend to learn the magic itself.  If they had a master who died or threw them out before finishing their teaching then they would have a percentage of the cost for learning the given school as normal from the book and the rest would be double cost for not having a teacher.  The initial spells they buy with the points from having learned a school of magic should all be at instructed rate.  That's the way the system is designed to work in my opinion.  Having them buy spells as well at the increased cost is double billing them.

Thank you all for your continued support of the Noob Questions
franchise. We hope to have a television series soon complete with a
tasty cereal line and Hallmark cards.

HAhahaha!