[PnP] Legend Of The Seeker

Phineas Cromwell phineascromwell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 00:36:42 CET 2008

I watched my first episode of Seeker yesterday. I think it was Scott who
said it was on Wednesday. Thanks for mentioning that, because when I looked
it up a few days before, I found it was on Saturdays, but they were re-runs.
Its funny because I have had the Sword Of Truth books packed away in my
basement, stored with my thousands of other paperbacks, for quite a few
years. Somehow I missed or forgot about this show coming out. I think the
format idea is great: an indefinitely-long TV series to handle a fantasy
series. You can really cover the entire mainstream story with that, as well
as potentially go beyond in other directions as well. Of course, that all
depends on the lifespan of the show; unfortunately, more likely than not,
that tends not to exceed one or two seasons.
There are quite a few fantasy/SF epics in book form that Ive always wanted
to have large-scale treatment like this. I think Anne McCaffrey's Pern
stories could be good; Earthsea was done, and The Mists Of Avalon, but how
much justice was done to the written works was debateable. Glen Cook's Black
Company series comes to mind, and so does the Shannara books.
CGI has widened the filmakers toolbox to visualize the fantastical;
hopefully Seeker may open the floodgates at little wider, maybe setting a
precedent for producers to bring classic fantasy series to TV in a
syndicated format. Wishful thinking, most likely.

Seekers and Confessors; who thinks they are Law-oriented, and who thinks
they are more Balance-oriented?