[PnP] Ships, Yo!

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Fri Feb 8 01:49:16 CET 2008

Scott, anyone?  Looking for people to fool with my shipwright program,
to see if you can generate reasonable ships with it.  Keep in mind
that it is primarily a GM tool, to create a set of standard cultural
ships rather than something for players to use to roll their own
(unless they actually have Naval architect skill :)

It is primarily complete with regards to ship components and final
performance, though the build time and costs still need work.  As you
can see in the copy, it has been "tuned" to the Trireme, which I was
able to mine the net for all the various stats I needed.  Some things,
like the weight of rigging and masts is sort of a WAG, but the other
formulas such as hull speeds and horsepower to speed formulas were
taken from nautical sites.

Obviously, my formulas output MPH, not knots, so keep that in mind
when looking at the output speeds.

There are some crufty areas that are still being used/worked.

Users tweak stuff in yellow boxes.  The blue factors should be left
alone.  The only things that you may want to tweak and experiment are
the "Block Coefficient" (how much of a "block" is the ship hull, in
terms of volume) and the "Admirality". The former should be closer to
one as you get box hulls (like barges), and perhaps a bit of speed
tweaking to go with it.  Likewise, if you plug in the numbers for a
historical ship and the speeds seem incorrect, the Admirality will
need to be adjusted.  It's entirely possible that each "class" of ship
(Bireme/Trireme, Merchant, Longship, Barge, etc) will need it's own
values for these three, which experimentation will give us.  Please,
if you play with this tool, send me any comments (and any data points
you get).