[PnP] Navigation Woes

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Sun Feb 10 05:13:51 CET 2008

I suppose it could not hurt to put in "step A, step B, etc) markers.
As a new user you should just consider all yellow boxes are fair game
to play with -- yes, there is no reason why you could not make a ship
that was 12' long and 120' wide (instead of 120' long and 12' wide),
and despite the fact that it would probably suck in real life there is
nothing in the sheet to prevent it.

You just have to feel free to poke in numbers and examine what the
sheet spits out.  I tried to put in some conditionals (i.e. if you see
cells that are red, you have violated some design limit...though it
can't tell you what one.

I have another game coming up in two weeks where the players need the
examine the fruit of their anti-piracy, so I need to hammer this out
by then, so any feedback is welcome, no matter the scale.

In a related note, I don't think Triremes are what we should be basing
the heavy warship on.  For all my research, they were coast-huggers
that were little more than scaled up rowboats.   And given the nature
of the Lands Perilous, I'll probably work up custom ship designs that
had no historical basis once I have the numbers on the sheet ready to
go.

The big question (probably to Richard) is how the realm of the seas is
in the world...is it more like the classical greek/roman age of
triremes (galleys and rowers), or more like early age of sail (dark
ages, before gunpowder -- more sailing ships with marines than large
rowing crews).