[PnP] Elf Shot questions

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Wed May 7 22:50:50 CEST 2008

A few problems with that methodology
1) If handed out for use, and Mana required, how is that done? Only
mages or does it take from Enl for non mage
2) If mana used at shot, and MDV applies for that then it does not
differ much from a direct attack spell yet has many more limits

Spell check for use without Mana keeps it with advantage of precast  and
does not require user to pay for it.
It becomes effectively the same rules as a poisoned weapon which should
be fair.
Then the restriction on preparation control and limit its use and
balance the precast advantage.

Original rules was precast only, the note clearly specified no cast on
use. It had few restrictions on how many could be prepared. This was
obviously too lax and made the spell potentially one for abuse. Limiting
quantity of arrows, restricts use in serious encounters to only a few
shots which puts it closer to spell use limits in a combat, thus is
fair. Adding a Bl check or Spell check puts it on par with poison rules
so should be a fair limitation. Though I think its pushing the spells
usability down too much as compared to direct spells.

Paralysis is a BMC 3 direct capture spell, it limits by strength which
will differ a little from ElfShot but for many targets it wont be a
large difference.
For similar Els the Paralysis spell check has the same success rate as
the Elfshot spell check but does not need the bow, arrow, or damage done
limitations. Thus it should work far more often. Drawback could be
chance of abysmal in combat where the Elfshot should not have that.
So did Elfshot really need that many extra limitations?

I would have stopped with limiting the quantity of arrows prepared as
that blocks serious abuse.
The big question is should the caster be allowed to make multiple
dedicated bows?
As a cheap semipermanent magic, total quantities from the caster should
be limited in some manner.
One Bow and El+1 arrows does not make it hard for the caster to use
them, it does make it hard to hand them out.
The spell never said they could be handed out, though it did not say
they could not be either.
I don't think I ever saw examples of handed out elfshots, Sprites cast
their own.
Of course finding a dedicated bow and arrows after a combat is possible
So balance will depend on many factors
If you can hand out many, then it needs a spell check in use. Cheap
powerful magic for the minions is too abusive.
If you cant hand out many, then spell check is not needed. Most likely
used by the caster in this case.

Well thats my views on things, but as in all games its a GM call as to
how they wish to use things.
How its limited chooses how its used and may greatly effect those few
races that use it.