[PnP] Questions For Scott Adams

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Sun Nov 30 16:51:47 CET 2008

At 11:18 AM 11/28/08, you wrote:
>It will be great to see that stuff. Definitely the kind of thing I'm interested in. There never seemed to be any substantial, in-depth
Gee teh pressure. :) Well I like what I have done already in the other files.  Thsoe were simple compared to this.  We shall see.  Yeah not many resources for sea stuff.  When I spent about 3 months on net research it in the end came up short.  There were 2 "supplements" I found and one is a combat system that looks well and will probably study it further when combat is worked on.  But there are far more info on creating Starships than seaships.  I'm no expert though I live in Florida around water, have a port, been on some ships, go on one cruise, read 2 books on triremes for this research and heck I did stay at a holiday Inn so that's an expert right? :) (As the tv ads say).  Theres good info on modern ships but few on ancients.  That's to be expected though based on the books I've read. This maybe why so few supplements.  I found some good roman sites and such though.

>As to the Western Lands name, I just wonder if Richard might be hinting at further Lands east of them...I dont know. It just seems to me

I'm sure there might.  But as I have learned from Richard he leaves it up to the GM. This is sort of his matra.  Which is one reason I love pnp.  Its so wide and so workable that you can do what you want.
For this adventure/pbem I've invented a lost mini-continent called Lymria (now under the water) - maybe! Players ignore these 2 lines please).

<snip>
occurs here and there. I think that kind of base would be needed to support a semi-industry of such a thing (a Hermetic style of magery applied to artificing).

Moorecock.  Yep.  I liked his stuff.  After all Hawkmoon/Stormbringer and Elric are one of my fav all time game systems to play/run. Though Hawk is 10x deadlier than pnp.  Good luck with your lands. To be honest over 25 years I've barely scratched the PL maybe 30%.  One reason I like PL is you could play for a century and still not go everywhere.

>As to Richard's obviously copious knowledge of folklore and mythology, I suppose only he can directly answer where he derived

I learned alot of that stuff in college Humanity courses of all things.  But only he can naswer it.  I'm sure like all young (industry) game makers back in the '80s most copied each other and back and forth and invented other things.

------
As to creating NMIs/Magic items. I created a dozen or so NMIs for the sea project universe.  Related to spell or naval benefits. I've found the system inventive and not much need to improve personally.  If anything the system on finding things rules for that or such could be enhanced.  But as far as just generating ABC Nmi or XYZ item is good enough.  I've had to create my own 'finding' NMI system/chart over the last 2 decades and it works well.  But you could start that project. :)

---

Translation - if you have a document you can get the net sites to translate it to another language.  There are sites that do that like converting pdf to text.  They work ok.  Could try that.

----

Page not found - Net is tricky.  Case is important.  He likely did like I've done numerous times.  Get the filename wrong or digit off by one number and page not found or its another link rather than the one you want.

----
Mags - High prices (even 4.50) for ancient magazines :) But I guess if one is desperate they'll charge whatever.  Once wanted a book a guy was selling for 375x its worth even original.  No thanks.

-----

For those watching Seeker - Nifty magic in this episode.  I think even the first could be considered Shadow Creation or Scuplture.  Saw Inviso...Fire Dart among others.  Sorta neat to think of the show as pnp.