[PnP] how virgin is virgin enough?

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Tue Feb 10 23:23:36 CET 2009

Just to give you bit of an idea how it all works.

The economic basis assumes that a rural family (2 adult, 3 kids) can
live on 1BB a day, or 36CC per year.  A Serf farming family can manage
up to 10 acres of land, each of  which produces about 400# of grain
per acre (after taking out next year's seed), but they require the
production of 5 acres to actually produce the food and goods (for
barter) they need...the work of the other 5 acres goes to their
liege.  Assuming 3 kids = 1 adult in production and consumption, we
can figure that 1 rural adult needs 12CC per year.

Using the RuneQuest market "rule of thumb", a change of market
multiplies cost by x2.5, to account for the new seller's profits as
well as transport costs, so grain in the cities goes for 2# for 1BB.

Working on the idea of a "tithe" (tenth of production), If a free
farmer working 5 acres produces 2000# of grains, this 2000# must
equate to 40CC of value in order to support the family (minus the 10%,
or 4CC for their lord, leaving their 36CC to live on).  By this, grain
purchased in rural areas off the farms must sell for 5# per 1BB.  A
serf farming family on 10 acres therefore produces 44CC of raw value
to their liege lord, who can actually get 110CC of market value if he
has access to trade routes.  A free farmer family on the same land
lives at DOUBLE the standard of living (72BB/year, tithing 8CC).  The
tithe to his liege ends up as 20CC if he has trade access.

So, you can hire a rural laborer for 1BB per day and he will be able
to feed himself and his family.  In the city, 1BB per day will satisfy
his needs but not that of a family -- they would have to work as well
(they would need 2.5BB/day).

The whole of the document flows from the 2.5x rule and the baseline
costs.  In RQ they use jumps of 4x per stratum in living quality,
which does make it easier to lump crafters into slots.  The idea that
to live at 600CC/year means you must sell that amount of value in
goods, allows you to back-fit creation times.  This is what I did for
my armorer rules.  For swords I based it on the 2GC/month armorer,
assuming half busy, how many swords can he make (and sell) to cover
this?

It all flows outward as the base value of something equals the time
cost of labor, plus material cost (which is also time-cost by labor).
But you need the low steps (cost of ore factors into cost for refined
metal factors into cost for metal sword).

The end result is something that has a consistent underbase, but it
requires a lot of work (and time) to build up the low levels before
you can start deriving the greater ones.

By this alo