[PnP] And another thing...about perm magic item creation

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Fri May 8 19:30:58 CEST 2009

The rules are sadly lacking on making items.
Very little is documented as to what effort it takes.

But one factor of PnP I love is that a minor mage can make a useful item!
#1 Require any item to have some sort of ritual that must be learned.
That increases the effort required.
#2 Require a good amount of Mana to be used. 3X or 5X greatly limits or
even makes the casting impossible without aids.
Mana is the blood of the mage, its a very limited resource that recovers
slowly, increases slowly and is limited in daily use.
If an item costs close to what a Mage has for Mana and oops can destroy
the working or greatly delay it.
Thus the Mage may need to acquire a staff or wand or mana storage before
doing anything serious

Only if you want magic items to be extreemly rare should you do what you
suggest.
Some think that each item should do permanent loss the the mage, but if
you do that then what occurs?
1) Items become very costly
2) Lower level mages are used up making items for powerful people--Slave
Mages
3) Certain monsters become nearly unkillable and terrorize areas
Definitely read through monsters carefully, I have been surprised many
times in a random encounter that became much nastier than expected

But its all a balance act, you are determining the magic economy of the
world.
Its a Hero's job to kill monsters and save people, so determine what a
hero needs to do that.
If characters cannot kill some monsters without some magic equipment
then that shifts the balance
So make sure there is a way to handle everything and how hard they have
to work

PnP has a few fairly common monsters that most people cannot handle and
some of those can be summoned!

For example: A low to medium level Chaos mage can summon Beasts! Many of
which can only be hurt by Light Powers ie by Law mages
So the right one can easily wipe out a party, even with Law Mages as
they can fall first.
Item Solution- Talisman of Light or similar, Scrolls, Tomes, Item to
summon Ahura to fight, weapons with light powers maybe some dedications?
No Item solution-Law or Balance Mage for Light spells, others may summon
Ahura but may have risks there too
Non Mage solution- Run very fast? Which may not be an option for some beasts

Then there is Specters, only CL1 so even easier to summon or just find
wandering about. Another that needs special weapons.

*Edimmu, Spiritual (Specter)*

*Special* - Specters can be armed. In general they are not. They are
immune to any form of Wizardry or Sidh-Magic. They cannot be killed and
do not suffer from fatigue. They can only be damaged by a magical weapon
dedicated to the destruction of Edimmu.

White Flint can make you immune to them if I remember correctly