[PnP] Enhancement

Schnockel dasandersx at comcast.net
Fri May 22 18:15:50 CEST 2009

Scott,

IT's a GREAT way to limit characters.  When they can enhance anything they
find, and the enhanced items are SO powerful, and VERY FEW limitations, it
makes the magic users ultimate characters.  With the limitations, of
specific knowledge for each enahnced material, then it gives magic users a
reason to be careful, to seek out other mages, and maybe even create
adventures...i.e. you want, or you want some party, to go find such and so
magician that you have heard rumor of his being able to enhance pickles...
and you need that recipe.

That's also why I sent out the comments previously about enahnced
items...and putting more limits on them...because an enhanced item made by a
MEL1 idiot and a MEL25 master only differ in their MDV...it's not enough
difference.

Here's what I worte earlier, just for refresher:

I think that enhanced items are far too powerful for the measly efforts put
into creating them and far too common.  Not only that, but a MEL20 wizard's
enhanced items are no more powerful than is that of a MEL1 apprentice.  This
is just plain wrong.  So, here I try to make the item descriptions match my
personal sensibilities.

ALSO.as per the rules.while there is but one enhancement spell, the special
knowledge for each item in this list must be individually learned.  Without
that knowledge, enhancement of an item is automatically an abysmal failure.
(Note: This will give you a reason to seek out the secret formulas for such
spells, and may even be the reason for you to go, or are sent, on
adventures.)

Many enhanced items take time to create.  Those that require more than a few
mere seconds (phases) to create are considered 'rituals'.  Those that
require a ritual are identified as such.  Instead of the number of phases
calculated using casting speed, use instead HOURS (or Turns if so noted in
the item description).  The amount of mana is not changed, just the time.

Also, many of these require resources that are readily available, but not
usually carried by the mage.  This is why a mage might have a tower, maybe
some greenhouses, storage rooms, laboratories, etc.  The description will
show what mundane items might be needed.

Finally.all of these variable amounts and effects are based on the standard
rolled magic items from the back of Book 4.  Those mostly are MEL 2D6 and EL
up to ? MEL.  Any constructive suggestions to changes are welcome...I'm not
wedded to these limitations, I just threw them together as a first draft.  I
eventually want to do the same thing for all of the magic items created in
Book Four, where an expanded explanation of the creation of the items is
developed.

ADINGANTIDA - HERB - RITUAL

A death poison.  In unenhanced form, it is Slow Death at BL2.  Enhanced, it
is Immediate Death at BL=EL.  In both cases it must be eaten to poison its
victim.  This ritual requires the liver of a poisoned creature to be dried
and powdered, and sprinkled into the herb.

AGATE - GEM - RITUAL

An unenhanced agate neutralizes snake and insect poison if success at BL5 is
rolled.  It has no effect on any other type of poison.  It will never affect
the poison of a supernatural force (i.e. a creature with a Contact Level).
Enhanced agate has the following properties:

A)    Increases the wearer's Eloquence by (ELx2)+5 to a maximum of 15.  This
requires a small brass brazier.

B)     Starting at MEL5, adds EL/2 to the wearer's MDV when he is attacked
by any Storm Power.  This requires pulverized stone from a fortress.

C)    Starting at MEL7 the wearer has immunity=EL to all emotional spells
(i.e. Fear, Terror, Hatred, etc.).  This requires some dried and powdered
heart of a lion (not Desert Lion, however).

D)    At MEL10 the agate can be used as a truth talisman.  When the stone is
swirled in water contained in a brass goblet a potion is created.  This
potion can last up to one hour in the cup.  The person being tested drinks
from the cup.  If he tells the truth, nothing happens.  If he lies, he will
have spasmodic fits and must roll against a BL=EL Slow Death poison.  Both
fits and poison last for ELx2 turns.  This requires holly twigs.

E)     The enhanced form no longer has any effect on ANY poison.

If the person wearing the enhanced stone EVER lies, then the stone will
darken and become useless.

AGRIMONY - HERB - TURNS

Unenhanced agrimony must be eaten to affect a person.  When it is, the
Stamina of the eater is increased by 15 (for StB determination ONLY.has no
affect on actual St or HP) and his HC by 20 against any form of Disease or
Poison.  This effect lasts until the next natural healing roll occurs, or
some magic healing takes place, or death, whichever may occur first.  This
requires a trained Herbalist to pick it correctly (Moderate difficulty roll
vs. Herbalist skill).  The plant must be fresh to have any effect (lasts
2d10 days).  Enhanced Agrimony stays fresh until used.

ALECTORIUS - CONCRETION - RITUAL

A stone that is found (10% chance) in the brain of a rooster.  It has no
value in an unenhanced form.  The stone must be visible on the wearer in
order to be effective.  When it is enhanced, it has the following
attributes:

A)    Any trained magic user (using other mana only from Casting Ability)
can use it for casting TWO mana points per day for any purpose.  This
requires something magically purified (dirt, earth, wood, etc.).

B)     At MEL 2 the wearer has EL immunity from anything he might fear (i.e.
his courage is unshakable unless confronted by a magical influence). This
requires some dried and powdered heart of a domestic cat.

C)    At MEL5 the wearer cannot suffer from thirst (he cans still die from
thirst but he will feel no discomfort in doing so).  This requires some
magically purified water.

D)    At MEL7 the influence chance of the wearer is increased by EL while
the stone is worn.  This requires a small silver charm shaped like a tongue
(1SC).  The charm is consumed in the attempt to make the item.

E)     Starting at MEL10 the wearer's MDV is increased by EL/2 (RD) to a
maximum of FIVE against all forms of magic.  This requires the use of a
brazier.

AMARANTH - PLANT - TURNS

Amaranth seeds must be swallowed whole to have their effect.  One seed per
daily food point (rounded up) must be taken for the healing effects to
begin.  Unenhanced, the seeds increase Stamina by 20 and HC by 10 when used
to heal physical damage.  These increases only affect the heal chance and
StB for the next healing.  Enhanced seeds add 20+(ELx2) to the Stamina and
EL+10 to the HC.  The seeds must be successfully picked by a trained
Herbalist against a Moderate difficulty roll or the enhancement spell fails
abysmally.  The seeds need not be fresh.  This requires dried and powdered
human blood as part of the spell or it automatically fails abysmally.

AMBER - RESIN - RITUAL

A person that wears a charm of unenhanced amber will have his HC increased
by 10.  In addition, if the amber is enhanced, the following attributes will
apply:

A)    The wearer can see clearly in non-magical darkness up to ELx2".  This
requires lamp oil to be burned as part of the ritual.

B)     The stone darkens when creatures that use poison, or use disease
powers, are within 4"+(ELx2") of the wearer.  If the person is looking at
the amber, then he can never be ambushed by creatures of this type.
Non-enhanced basil, dried and crushed, is sprinkled on the stone during the
ritual.

AMETHYST - GEM - RITUAL

The wearer of an unenhanced amethyst will require twice the normal amount of
liquor to become drunk.  If the amethyst is enhanced, it has the following
attributes:

A)    The wearer cannot become drunk.  Fine wine or better is required, and
must have the alcohol boiled off.

B)     At MEL6, if the stone is swirled in water contained in a silver
goblet, a potion is created that is a BL(EL+3) cure for any Death poison.
The potion created must be drunk within MEL turns or its benefits are lost.
Unenhanced balim must be sprinkled into the potion.

C)    At MEL8 it increases the wearer's Intelligence and Empathy by EL/2 RU
each.  This requires a small piece of paper from an educational book or
scroll to be burned in a brazier.

D)    At MEL11 the wearer has an eidetic (i.e. photographic) memory while he
wears the stone.  He will not forget any detail about anything that he feels
important.  He will always forget anything that does not strike him as being
important at the time.  This requires a small scrying (magnifying) crystal
that permanently clouds up in the attempt to make the item.

ANEMONE - PLANT - TURNS

The benefit of the flower is gained by inhaling the fragrance.  It normally
remains fragrant for 48 hours after being picked, if done so by a trained
Herbalist against a Moderate difficulty roll.  Its effect increases Stamina
by 10 and HC by 20.  Enhanced, and kept in a pouch, it will remain fresh
until exposed to fresh air or light.  Once so exposed, the flower will last
MELx2 hours and cannot be further stored.  There are no additive effects for
repeated use of, or exposure to, the flower.

ANGELICA - PLANT - TURNS

The entire plant must be dried, ground into powder, and mixed with ONE quart
of FINE wine.  The plant must be successfully picked by a trained Herbalist
against a Moderate difficulty roll or the enhancement spell fails abysmally.
Unenhanced, the potion created will increase Stamina and HC by Herbalist
(EL/2)-10 when defending against the effects of Disease, Decay or Corruption
(the Stamina increase applies ONLY for the next healing roll).  Enhanced,
the plant adds MELx1D3 (to a maximum of 30) to the MDV of the user and
replaces MELx3 lost energy points (to a maximum of 30).  If the potion is
taken more than once per day, it acts as a BL8 Slow Death poison.  In both
cases, these effects last only until the next healing roll is taken.  Per
plant and quart mixed, eight doses of potion are created.  The method of
storage is not important but the flavor of the potion is not like normal
wine.  Sipping the wine potion just to get the flavor of it does not count
as a 'second' dose !
 in a day.  The wine used for the enhanced version must be magically
purified.

ANTIMONY - METAL - RITUAL

The unenhanced metal has no special attributes.  Enhanced, it increases the
wearer's MDV against all demons and Chaos Magics by EL+1, to a maximum of
SIX.  It will operate as an EL Protection spell, to a maximum EL of 5,
aiding the wearer only, against any demon that attacks.  This spell requires
it to be cast in direct sunlight during the summer solstice high noon.