[PnP] Richard Snider - In Memorium

Phineas Cromwell phineascromwell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 01:55:58 CET 2010

Just a few minutes ago, I checked my e-mail for the first time in a while,
partially due to severe weather and being busy with work and other
activities.

The news of Richard Snider's passing has impacted me with a belated sadness.

I feel subdued and regretful for a few of my previous posts. I had no idea
whatsoever that Mr. Snider was ill, or of the grave seriousness of his
personal situation. I apologize for any inappropriate dialogue I engaged in.

Richard Snider was right there when it came to the history of fantasy
roleplaying gaming. I recently learned of a kind of 'proto-Powers-&-perils'
rpg he co-created with Dave Arneson, titled 'Adventures In Fantasy'. Part of
the reason this game was written was as a kind of rebuttal and conceptual
revision/evolution of 1st edition AD&D, based on their dissatisfaction with
aspects of that game. Powers And Perils was his magnum opus, and carried on
that desire to evolve the frpg in a more satisfying direction for those who
were willing to recognize and appreciate it.

I will always respect and remember Richard Snider for his work. I hope the
P&P site will endure and evolve and expand his system and milieu.