[PnP] Combat and timing

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Mon Jan 16 20:48:15 CET 2012

Back in early '80s when it first came out this was one of the biggest confusing parts.  I studied and read it over and over but it wasn't really that clear at first.  Even today its a bit lacking.  But with that said I try to use them.  Mainly in terms of single combat (esp. duels) or creature and human comabat.

At 05:17 PM 1/15/12, you wrote:

>So...the rules don't really state why there is a weapon priority or how to apply it.  At least, not that I can find.
>

>So...if a character is hit first by a creature, does that invalidate the character's attack?  Does it merely force a negative modifier
No attack continues unless dead or disabled.  Though loophole does apply if the guy is dead and  alich or zombie then can still attack :)
No negative mod aside from core mods like fighting more than 2 targets, etc.

>(actually an add)?
>

>Certainly the effect of the earlier attack can affect the expected return attack if, for instance, the lower priority weapon user is killed.

Yep.

>How do you see that happening/working?

Not much.  Basically its not a big factor to me. IN a big normal combat its just too much to figure out as is so do not bother.  Smaller maybe.

I still prefer the basic movmenet rules
ie..agility....MR...armor etc to figure out who moves first.  It works well.  Charts help in that regard to speed things up.

But of course there is times when folks move at same time like usually an enemy.  So could use the chart to figure out if X or Y will use the polearm first or the sword next.  But mainly in terms of small combat.

so overall kinda useless...
Sometimes used...good for small combats.