[PnP] how to resolve skill checks?

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Tue May 29 16:34:43 CEST 2012

Hiya.

   Same thing, really. If you look at the back of Book 1, about page 40
under "Problem Solving (Optional)". Yes, it's listed as an optional
rules system.

   The basics: under 5.2, Skill Use just look at the type of skill (an
"or 80" skill or a 'normal' skill..."Other" they call it), then cross
reference the difficulty you have assigned - Easy to Impossible. Do the
math, and roll 1d100. Equal or lower is success.

/*Example*:  Making a Swimming check across a deep, slow-moving river
may be Moderate. Swimming is an "Other" skill. Say the EL in Swimming
for the character is 6. Cross reference Other with Moderate and you see
"x10". So, 6 x 10 = 60. The character has a 60% chance of succeeding. On
the other side, the character decides that swimming rivers sucks, so he
wants to build a bridge. His skill in Forester is 47, as it is an "or
80" skill. The Referee decides that it's a bit of an odd forest, with
cool rains and unpredictable winters, so figures a difficulty of
Difficult. Lookin at the table under "or 80", we see /2. So, 47 / 2 =
23.5, rounding up to 24. The character has a 24% chance to correctly
choose the proper trees to build the best bridge here./

Hope that makes sense. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming