[PnP] Rediscovering this classic

William Wilson dwarf74 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 05:59:55 CEST 2012

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. :)  Paul - I saw your Two-Handed
Weapon houserules on the site, and if I ever get a chance to run P&P, I'll
be incorporating at least some of them!  With how intensely valuable
shields are, it's good to see a reason to haul around a huge axe!

I think my confusion on the Characteristic Points bit was that I wasn't
thinking in end-of-session or end-of-adventure terms; in the book, it
looked like you got your XP and EP right after a fight, and the Char.
Points were part of that.  This way makes more sense!

I'm a poly-gamer, myself.  I looove systems.  I like finding out what
systems are good at, playing to their strengths, and against their
weaknesses.  Old-school, new-school, whatever - as long as a game has
unique strengths, and I can see some interesting bits to build an adventure
around, I'm a fan!  I think that's why P&P has stuck with me all these
years - there's parts of the system I have literally never seen anywhere
else.  IMO, some work better than others, but I'd rather play a unique game
that tries something innovative than a safe game that only builds off the
past.  So I have a lot of respect for games like AD&D 1e, D&D 4e, Call of
Cthulhu, FATE-based games like Spirit of the Century, and, yes, P&P!

So please keep in mind - I'm pretty critical in my extended review.  Part
of that is for comic effect, but honestly, after initial dismay, I found
that this game still charms the heck out of me.  I hope that shines
through, as well.