[PnP] Multiplier increase option

Matijs van Zuijlen mvz at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 14 08:35:42 CEST 2014

Hi Melkor,

On 14/07/14 07:39, Melkor wrote:
> this rule is fascinating but i do not think that Snider's intention was like
> this.

Well of course, that's why it's a house rule :-)

> If he wanted to allow for this possibility, he would have allowed a
> multiplier of 3d6+14 instead of 2d6+14 (see 1.1.2, under "maximum ability in
> BOOK I).

That would have just improved the multipliers at the start of the game, rather
than allowing increase during the game, which is what this house rule is all about.

> In fact, 3d6+14 would have given this possibility to a character, namely to
> raise any of his eight characteristic up 4 times their native value (if on a
> 3d6 roll you get 18, 18+14= 32. 32/8=4
>
> Also, it is high unlikely that a human being can improve in the same degree
> in any personality trait. You never see around a person which is so smart and
> at the same time so strong, etc... each person has his shortcomings.

The house rule makes the case that the native ability reflects the inborn
strengths and shortcomings of the character, whereas the multipliers reflect
their 'interests and goals'. That does sound a little funny to me: It sounds
like interests and goals are reflected both in multipliers and characteristic
points. However, this is indeed what it says in the book.

> So i don't think this optional rule should be used....

I don't think I've ever had a character that had maxed out its characteristics
to such an extent that this rule would be needed :-). However, I do like the
idea of characters being able to develop further if they manage to survive for
decades. They would become some ancient wizard or ancient warrior type
characters, with powers at a mythical level.