[PnP] To batter doors

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Fri May 2 08:00:36 CEST 2014

Hiya.

   The "fun" in the second method is simple; timing and drama. Using it,
it will automatically create tension and drama. The dice provide the
chance, the PC's provide the means, and the other players all sit there
at the edge of their seat as the player throws his dice down trying to
roll as high as he can so he can break down the door and flee before the
slow-moving but horrid beast slithering down the hallway gets to him.

   With the first method, there is a LOT less "excitement"; if you don't
break it down, you never will. It's total success, or total failure.

First Method: "You see the doorway! Rushing ahead you throw your
shoulder into it! With a loud thud, you find it holds fast. The horrid
creature slithers closer and closer...and eats you".

Second Method: "You see the doorway! Rushing ahead you throw your
shoulder into it! [player dice roll, damage subtracted from door] With a
loud thud, you find it still holds! The horrid creature slithers
closer... Another rush at the door! [player rolls dice, figures damage]
It creaks and cracks a little, but still holds! The creature is almost
upon you, the stench of it's slimy coating stinging your nostrils. One
last try, you shove with all your might! [player rolls dice, damage
subtracted] With a mighty CCRRRAAACKK! The door's hings buckle and you
fall into the area beyond! The monster moves ever closer towards the now
open doorway..."

I prefer the second method myself. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming