[PnP] Eloquence revisited

pming at northwestel.net pming at northwestel.net
Thu Apr 9 20:15:50 CEST 2015

Hiya!

  I use Eloquence all the time. I generally try and pair a
"physical" characteristic with a "mental" characteristic for any
rolls I have players make if I can. For example, a "surprise"
check would have a base of A+E/2. That would be adjusted by any
EL's appropriate to the situation (most likely, the current
environment Survival EL).

  I also sometimes just outright "decide" certain things based on
the characters Eloquence. Not often, but sometimes dice rolling
isn't necissary or important. For example, a description of
talking to an NPC may have me RP'ing him for a minute, then
asking the player "What's your characters Eloquence?". Depending
on his answer, I'll give him some insight into the NPC..."You are
finding it really hard to continue a conversation with this
fellow. He takes a long time to finish a sentence, and sometimes
he just stops a sentence midway and starts another" (for a PC
with decent E and NPC with low E).

  My daughter is autistic. She'd have a fairly low Eloquence from
what I can determine (she's only 5.5 years old), but her
Intelligence is definitly higher. We can talk to her and
generally converse, but sometimes it takes longer for her to
"get" what we're asking her...like it's taking her brain a longer
time to parse every concievable meaning of the words we used and
come up with the most likely meaning. I see P&P's Eloquence
having the same type of general effect on someone's behaviour.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

***** ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS *****

Eloquence - A Character’s mental dexterity. It can be viewed as
his ability to think quickly. Problems that require a person to
be convincing in interpersonal relations, think quickly or
respond with mental rapidity require Eloquence.
This is from the back of the Book 1 v2...

It seems to me that Eloquence as used in this game is
underutilized.  Most people seem to only use it for their
influence chance.  Many don't bother to put more than a 1.5
multiplier to it since it has so little affect on the game.  But
what if there were other ways to use it...?

Perhaps it could be used to determine a quick reaction...such as
to a door you are trying to open 'clicks'...and you attempt to
duck out of the way of what's coming...one roll to see if you do
react (E or E+Em/2) vs a difficulty factor determined by the GM,
and one roll to see if your body can keep up with your mind.

Perhaps the successful use of E could help a mage keep track of
how long his spell might last...instead of them always knowing to
the second...especially if he is busy casting a new spell or
otherwise distracted by the big monster trying to make a snack of
his marrow.

Perhaps a high E rating could be used to identify an opening in
an opponents defenses...and give a chance to exploit that
weakness.

I was wondering if any of you had additional ideas.

Dave

Sent from my iPad