[PnP] Weights and HP

Thomas O. Magann Jr. tmagann at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 23 17:10:08 CEST 2015

Actually, it's worse than you think, and that might be why it's possible for a human sized sort to kill a giant: They are, relatively speaking, too weak to stand up easily.

Yes, the weight giant from a height increased is the cube of the base increase, but the strength and surface areas increase by the square. It's called the cube square ration, I believe, and used to explain why HG Wells' giant insects are impossible.

Double the height, you've multiplied the surface area by 4. This is ability to dissipate heat, and base strength of the muscles. But the weight, and heat generation have gone up by a factor of 8. He's able to dissipate heat form exercise at half the rate a normal sized individual can, and weighs twice, relative to strength. Most of his muscle is going into standing up Much like a normal human carrying another normal human and trying to act normally in the process.

For your 18' giant, this is 27 times the weight and heat, 9 times the surface area and muscle. 3 times the heat build up, and two extra people on his shoulder.

And it works going the other way, too. This is why ants can carry several times their body weight: the muscle to mass ratio is so favorable. They aren't strong, they are just small.

Basically, the larger giants should be slower and clumsier. If that helps you resolve the issues you have with combating giants?

I can't help you with the hit point issue. But we are talking about a game where two 200 pound humans can have widely different hit point totals based on stamina and constitution, so.. I ignore it.