[PnP] Travel in the PL

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Tue Apr 26 21:28:50 CEST 2016

List been quiet..so let's talk!

1) Transmutation - Many of you use this spell? Initially players used
it to transmute a horse into rocks to stop inclusion costs of
tleeport.  Then we remembered the animate to inanimate rule.  But
this spell always gave me issues ever since '80s. Seems too easy.
To me I think mass = mass.  So a horse going to rock would be a large
boulder.  IMHO.  I just can't see a horse goig the size of a
pebble.  Just makes no sens to me.  Unless you lose law of reality
and just say 'ohhh..magic does those things.'
What do you guys say on this spell?

2) Teleport - Inclusions.  Way back Richard had told me or was posted
here that a inclusion was 1 person of average human size or in some
ways same as caster.  So I've always just cheated and said 250 pounds
- 1 inclusion.  So a giant of 800 woudl be 4 inclusions an dso
on.  Thus issue with horses being 750-1200 pounds.  Costly
inclusions.  We have teleporters with EL10 level but even they can't
take all horses in one leap.  So how do you guys consider this?  Some
say it shoud be Mass rather than weight.  Bleh  Course this doesnto
include gear/clothing.  I cheat there as well.

3) Long travels: Party food is relative easy to have with no
issue.  But horse food is not.  At 3 or 4 fp per horse and limited
type of food (ie oats, apples, grain) your limited on supiies.  At 10
horses for 2 week travel talking 30 fp per day or 420 fp ish.  At 10
pounds per grain bag....and that's only 10 that's alotof
weight.  Burton you did those great town / civilization building
guides.  Did you ever figure out a way to solve this issue? Did you
research this topic to make it easer?  Grazing is fine but in winter
its difficult.

4) Flying carpets: Last night was thinking of ways to solve the 3
issues. No horses.  Flying carpets/ships/slabs.
I did have a flying ship but it was through a new form of elemental
magic. So how would one maybe do this?  Levitation, some form of
heelmind spell to control it since no wheels on a carpet (steering
wheels) brakes.  Or verbal commands but that would make
maneuverability rough. I saw some site with dnd carpets at 20k gold
for 1 man...geesh!..seriously?
Anyone ever add these to your world?

5) Ship project- I've had free time lately so I'm back to trying my
ship project.  Its done except for Construction/combat.  Combat will
be easy.  Construction is harder.  I think I have a breakthrough on a
issue mainly on common amounts of wood.  So I cna build and price
it.  Think I solved it but need to do more tweaking.  I do want to
finish this project i started so many years ago.....sigh

6) So how is everyone doing in their worlds?  Burton your empire
thriving for those folks? :)