[PnP] pnp Digest, Vol 140, Issue 14

David Sanders dasandersx at comcast.net
Fri Aug 25 17:40:21 CEST 2017

I did some web wandering.  I couldn't find much else as an option.  I did see that the 'drum' would often look more like a tambourine.  The drum could be carried in a decorated satchel bag.

The thing about the drum is it helped the shaman connect to the rhythms of nature...and from there enter into their trance from which the magic could more easily flow.  So...if you had some other way to connect to those natural rhythms, you might be able to use that...but I don't know what kind of instrument it could be.  Sometimes maybe bells/gongs...?  Cymbals, sticks to hit together, blocks of wood, castanets, sistrum (bells/cymbals on a stick or staff), scrapers (wood with corrugated carvings where you run a stick up and down the ridges), maybe even a cabasa.

Anyway, I think you would need to stick with something primitive cultures could make by hand.

Some other things.  Rattles were fairly prevalent.  They could be made from wood, hide, or other natural materials.  Think of them like a wizard's wand.  The noise-making parts could be inside the rattle or even on the outside.  They uses rocks and dried seeds to make the rattle noise.

Masks were very common.  Highly decorated and made from all sorts of materials.

Sent from my iPad