FV/DR

Choinski, Burt BChoinski at XSERV.BILLERICA-MA.PERITUS.COM
Thu Dec 11 14:05:17 CET 1997

The FV (and accompanying damage to armor) is there if you wish to take
on the extra detail of having equipment wear down through use.

We don't use it, for the most part -- as written you are likely to
shatter your weapon with every deadly hit.

Whe have used a modification of the FV rules and it works out okay.  In
our game we allow characters to use their weapons to parry with if they
do not have a shield, so when a parry is performed the damage done is
compared
to the weapon FV.  If over 1/2 the current FV, the current FV is reduced
by 1 -- if over FV the weapon is rendered useless (and loses 1 FV).  EL
with the weapon may be applied to the weapon FV to resist this (i.e.
turning
a block into a deflect, which is easier with higher skill), but any EL
applied this way is not available for damage or to hit.

Let me explain this with an example. Joe Kazi has EL7 in sword.  Each
turn he distributes these 7 "points" toward Attack, Defense or weapon.
EL points applied to attack are subtracted from his roll and apply to
any damage rolls he makes.  El applied to defense adds to any attacker's
rolls against him and EL applied to weapon add to it's FV when resisting
damage.  Thus, he could do 4/1/2 and attack with an effective EL of 4,
add 1 to any attacker's roll and give a sword with an FV of 8 an
effective FV of 10 for that turn.

Shield skill applies similarly, with El being split between defense and
shield (adding to the AV).

For damage TO a weapon when attacking, only use the die roll plus SB
when checking for weapon damage.  For deadly hits, use the first 1d10
rolled and SB.

As to armor damage, we haven't really used the existing system too much
as it has too much "extra" numbers to deal with.  At present we just
decide among ourselves if the armor is so beat that it needs to be
replaced.

Burton Choinski, Peritus Software Services Inc.
bchoinski at peritus.com