Ship and Sailing in Perilous Lands

Scott Cohan scott.cohan at SSA.GOV
Mon Dec 15 14:04:37 CET 1997

>I found the map on page 36 of the Site Book. It blows everything I know out
>the door because it has 3 or 4 legs of the journey on "the way east" that
>are over 400 miles without re-supplying. One Leg even looks like it is 1200
>miles!!!!

  Yet another good argument for updating the naval tech.  I find that caravels
  work well as the apex of naval development, seeing that if Columbus could make
  it from Portugal to the Dominican Republic in one, it should suffice for these
  long naval voyages.  Then again, after a couple of years, the Lemasans might
  have invested in a carrack or two, but that should be the 'top of the line'.

>It is now my concidered opinion that the people who put the Lands together
>just didn't know anything about ships. It seems that they just figured, a ship
>is a ship is a ship..... They picked small ones so that the players might get
>one someday if they saved all their gold. If they have all these small ships
>and can go 1200 miles in a Quadreme without a re-supply stop, they have to have
>help.
>(I still think it's designer error, I'm just espousing my fix for thier error.)

Again, this is my thought exactly, that the designers just didn't know of any
medieval ships, so they used the only pre-gunpowder ship they could think of --
the trireme.

 >I have the Gods interfering in the Lands, but they do not have a Presence
>unless they have an Avatar, like Slidranth. They can give boons and
>blessing, as well as curses and blights.
     So far, I've only had 'behind the scenes' interference from the gods.
I really dislike having the gods show up and interact directly with the
characters.  I've had too many bad AD&D experiences with that sort of thing.
 (Once, my party ran into Set.  And killed him (DM was too literal, using
the Deities and Demigods book).  The DM backpedaled quickly,"Oh, that wasn't
really Set, just his High priest".  Then there was the time Asmodeus showed
up and threatened us to do something for him.  Takes away the mystery.)
     If anyone out there has the Priesthood and the Priestly Magic articles
and can fax them to me, I'd be forever greatful.  I can also fax you the Sea
of Tears article, the "deadliest fighters"? and Doom Manor.