P&P v2 [Was: Re: Idea bounce]

Larry D. Hols crkdface at PCPARTNER.NET
Tue Nov 18 13:22:09 CET 1997

Hallo,

>>Weren't you arguing for differentiation among characters?
>
>Yes, but differentation means not only the possibility of having a charcter
>advance to a highly specialized arche-type, say a master-thief or a Climan
>Ship-Mage, but also the possibility of a character that is good at
>everything or even extremely bad at everything and cursed twice over. And
>above all of having (basic) scores for those characters which differ widely.

        I've given some thought to this.  On the matter of basic scores, I
think that players will develop characters with differences in basic
scores, so variety in the party will be preserved.  I still don't think
that it is the designer's place to force players to play a wide variety of
characters each time a new character is generated; I believe that is a task
for the GM and the group.  You've convinced me (well, I got some input from
a different mailing list and other places, too) that some randomness is
desirable in character generation, so I'll be placing some in.  I think
that dealing with characters of some extreme--slaves, nobles, cursed souls,
etc.--are a matter for a supplement;  I don't see novices handling such
well (and experienced groups will figure out how to set those up on their
own).
        And I need to think about having choices that reflect a Renaissance
Man approach (jack of all trades) in addition to characters focused on one
area.

Larry