P&P v2 [Was: Re: Idea bounce]

Choinski, Burt BChoinski at XSERV.BILLERICA-MA.PERITUS.COM
Tue Nov 18 13:39:58 CET 1997

Larry D. Hols [SMTP:crkdface at PCPARTNER.NET]
||        I'd thought about this, but wasn't sure how elegant it would
prove
|| in the end.  For those characters in a line of work that sort of uses
two
|| Paths, what would be the cost.  I've never like juggling the cost of

You could go a number of routes.  The simplest would probably be to use
the lowest multiplier for the two careers (i.e. if One had Weapon skills
at x2, the other at x1, use the x1 costs), better would be to use the
average (so weapons would cost x1.5 in the above example).

|| learning spells from different orientations in P&P1, so I don't think
I'd
|| like this.  It is a thought, though, and the playtesters may find it
not to
|| be a problem.

Now that you mention it, it is sort of similar to that.

Things can be a lot simpler, which will make it work better.  For
example, all initial costs could be changed to factors of 5 (15, 20,
etc), and the multipliers could apply to initial cost only.

The NEL costs could be tweaked a bit more as well.  A while back I was
considering simplifying skill costs by a factor of 5 (experience would
likewise be reduced).  Thus, there would be skills with NELx1, NELx2,
NELx3 and the highest of NELx4.  Initial cost would also be divided by
5.  Smaller numbers are less daunting.
    -- Burton

Burton Choinski, Peritus Software Services Inc.
bchoinski at peritus.com