Mass combat rules...

Burton & Linda Choinski linna at NETCOM.COM
Mon Apr 27 02:37:03 CEST 1998

Scott Adams wrote:

> |    Mass combat rules
> |
> |    Some comments:
> |
> |    1) We could use some subset or subsection of those rules for
> |       Aerial and especially naval battles.  :)  Any takers?

There were come troop strength nothes for advanced things like guns and
helecopters,but I did not put them through. :)  That is an interesting idea,
though, figure out abstractions
for naval war. Aerial is uncommon enough that Naval would be more pressing.

>     2) What about non-human forces.  A section of modifiers should
>        be given for like Elven archers (sometimes better than humans),
>        Dwarfs (strength factor), etc...

There was some notes for non-human modifications, and for supers...I'll put the
next mailing on it (probably tomorrow or so).

>     3) I see the special forces section I suppose aerial bombers cold
>        be given there..ie faerry bombers :)...

They probably go under the heading as scouts as well.  Perhaps worth 2-to-1
Aerial maps.

>     4) Tactics/formation could affect the battle as well.  Its sorta
>        covered but leaders could pick like picket lines, box formation,
>        etc.  And factor those in.  Just a suggestion.

*nod*  I would put that in the misc ads to the battle roll.  Remember, it
should be somewhat abstract. I don't know what bonus a "bux" vs a "Dressed
line" would give.

>     5) It could use some weather affects (storms, cold, etc.)
>     6) With weather comes fog which reminds me of smoke on the battle field.

Again, covered under misc, but if we could come up with good number guidelines
between us, all the better.

Wout can fit it all in and insert the changes on his army page. :)  "The Armies
of Lands Perilous" :)

>         I suggest adding info on affecting that with skills and stats.
>         Ie those who have survival, tactics oriented skills should
>         do better to avoid damage than a peasant :).

The orgininal rules had a "Battle" skill that was the average of Tactics and
Weapon skill. Since CEL is a good part of this I just used it.  I could see
adding 1/3 (round down) shield skill or something.  My players in group #1
won't get involved in battles (yet), group #2 in Marentia might.  If anyone can
playtest their more agressive warmongers or those hoping to carve out their own
empire, go to it. :)   -- Burton