MDV affect

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Wed Feb 16 02:04:28 CET 2000

How do you use MDV when a mage casts a helpful spell on someone?
Variables include casting on self, on someone wanting it, and someone
unconscious. Presumably someone not wanting the spell cast on them would be
using their MDV to oppose the spell.

Based on several clues in the books including 13.91 and the spell
description of Orient Self in our games we allowed characters to subtract
(rather than add) their MDV from the roll when they wanted to be affected by
a spell. We did not give this option to unconscious characters. Nor did
items that added to MDV have this option - they always added to MDV. (We
didn't have intelligent items that might have a choice).

How do others approach this question?

            Alex