MDV affect

Tim Falkenberg Falkenberg at ROCKETMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 16 05:28:06 CET 2000

--- Alex Koponen <akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM> wrote:
> How do you use MDV when a mage casts a helpful spell on someone?
> Variables include casting on self, on someone wanting it, and someone
> unconscious. Presumably someone not wanting the spell cast on them
> would be
> using their MDV to oppose the spell.
>
> Based on several clues in the books including 13.91 and the spell
> description of Orient Self in our games we allowed characters to
> subtract
> (rather than add) their MDV from the roll when they wanted to be
> affected by
> a spell. We did not give this option to unconscious characters. Nor
> did
> items that added to MDV have this option - they always added to MDV.
> (We
> didn't have intelligent items that might have a choice).
>
> How do others approach this question?

This is how I have always viewed this.  It would depend on the 'victim'
and his perspective.  If he cooperated then I would allow the MDV to be
subtracted and vice-versa.  I agree that an unconscious person would
still have the MDV added.

Tim Falkenberg

=====