Prototype Construction rules

Burton Choinski burton.choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Thu Oct 5 16:14:47 CEST 2000

Robert Hanson wrote:

> Hi, long time listener, first time poster (I think).  I haven't played P&P
> for about 10 years, but I like to read the posts on the odd chance that I
> ever get to play what I consider the best RPG again.
>
> This cost chart brings up a wierd question.  As a player, are these costs
> considered expensive?  ...Or as a GM, are these costs expensive for your
> players?

Which cost chart were you talking about?  The construction costs, or the
wages you clipped below? For the former, the construction costs are
pretty much based on the labor costs, using the data from book 1 as a
baseline.

Many of the costs, especially armor and weapons, are really wacked.  I
mean, 150GC for a suit of plate that protects you against 3 stinking
points of damage more then ring & leather? Please.

I've considered a complete price overhaul, but then any of my stuff
would be out of sync with the rest of you, so I haven't gone too far
with it (I have tried to add stuff to fill the gaps, though).  And
rounding out othr rough edges (like the horse FP tirade :) can't hurt.
:)

> I'm just wondering how many people play in a campaign where adventure is the
> reward, and not nessecarily income.  If I recall correctly, when I played,
> we were not considered rich... maybe well know in some places, and in one
> case a player became a Donaran general, where he enjoyed his stature, but
> never gained much wealth.

For my players it's not the money as much as the power/status.  The
problem is when you have piles of money it makes some plot lines
impossible to do when the players can solve it by throwing cash at it.
      -- Burton
--
Burton Choinski
Principle Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce