Horse FP

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Thu Oct 5 19:09:33 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Choinski Family" <choinski at TIAC.NET>
To: <POWERS-AND-PERILS at geo000.CiTG.TUDelft.NL>
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: Horse FP

> > When we had four (competition level show) horses they went through 1+
> > (50-80lb.) bale of hay per day and 4 to 8 lbs. of grain per day. Divide
by 4
> > and you get 12-20 lbs. of hay and 1 to 2 lbs. of grain per (1000 lb.)
horse
> > per day.
>
> Well, this is pretty close then.  Again, I'm not picking on your
numbers...I
> should probably also check with my sister-in-law how much she feeds her
> hourses (just riding, no show stuff).
>
> But, depending on the weights of your horses, your numbers and mine may
not
> be off all that much.

Our horses were on the large size (16-17 hands tall, 1000+ lb.
Thoroughbreds).
When not working the horses they can get by with foraging for themselves in
temperate plains.

> While I'm here to bounce numbers off you, another source I read (the
> 'pasture FAQ') suggested a rough thumbnail of 1 acre of pasture per 1000#
of
> grazing animal.  That seems kinda low, unless we are talking a controlled
> pasture field with specifically grown, modern grass breeds, not wide open
> wilds like you might find in P&P cultures.  Any comment on this?
>     -- Burton

I agree, the 1 acre would be turned to dirt fairly fast. You need more.
Maybe 3 acres. Less if supplemental feeding.
        Alex