slyph

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Wed Oct 25 00:22:35 CEST 2000

At 11:48 PM 10/24/00 +0200, you wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I'm back on the list again.
> With a question for you: a session ago, my players were travelling aboard a
> ship on the Sea of Tears. They had several encounters, mostoften with
> "slyphs". Since these creatures are nowhere to be found in book Three,
nor in
> the sea travel article in Heroes Magazine, I discarded these encounters.
> What are slyphs?
> My guess: a salt-water version of the Asrai?
> Wout thinks they are some kind of sirens, having the power to lure male
> seamen with their magical song.
> Slyphs could also be some kind of Water Elements.
> Ideas, anyone?
> Mathijs

Air Elemental.  See below my snippet from my monster file

   Elementals
     (The basic forms that can be encountered or summoned).
     Air Elementals            Alignment - Elder
      AHP 15      OCV 6(12*)  DCV  7(14) NWI  0
      S   18(+1)  St  24(+1)  D   16(+1) A  40(+2)
      MR 10(52)   NAV  0      MDV  10    NF 1d3*
      EnL 20      CDF  4      CL    1
      DTV  0      HC  NA      INT  variest**
      SS NA
      * () OCV Applies when air elemental in air
      ** Intellect varies with the type of Elemental.  Factors are:
         Slyph 7/Wind 2/Cloud 1
      Appearance - Roll 1d6
         1   Slyph - Handsome humanoid form 6-7 feet in height.
             They have winds constantly swirl around them.  Their
             hair is always blowing and eyes sparkle with lightning.
        2+3  Wind - Vortex 2d10 feet in diameter.  They swirl at a constant
             cyclonic rate and casting strong winds come from them.
        4-6  Cloud - Dark menacing clouds up to 60 feet in diameter.
             Emotional state of elemental can be taken from the cloud
             form it takes.  It always attacks as a Thunderhead.
      Special
        Slyphs - They are intelligent.  They can control either Wind or
          other cloud elementals when they choose to do so.  All slyphs
          can use Storm and Aerial powers at MEL8/EL4.  They can not
          be affected by these powers.  In general, they are neutral
          to man.  They can be influenced, or compelled to aid him.