Planar Travel

Burton Choinski burton.choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Fri Oct 27 14:23:14 CEST 2000

In my early days of P&P (80's) the way I did it was that certain points
on the middle world were fixed portals to certain points in the upper
world.  The interworld-travel spell could only be used in these areas.

SInce I plan to run a more heroic setting, borrowing from RuneQuest
where the characters can go into the upper world to gain power beyond
their maximum attributes, I plan to use the "Avatar" approach.

Once you have successfully made it to the upper world (either by going
through a fixed portal or being brought there you have a sort of virtual
tether to that location in the upper world.  When you next return to the
upper world you return to that exact same spot.  If you travel while in
the upper world, you move the spot (but return to your original position
in the middle world).  Thus you cannot go into the upper world, travel a
bit, and come back down on the middle in a different location -- there
is no one-to-one correspondence.

Also, when you shift to the upper world you will be on the outer fringe
of the upper world regions, with stuff only 1.5x as nasty.  One can
travel along the fringe, but greater power and greater danger lies if
you travell deeper into the region.  However, to return to the middle
world you hav eto make your way back to the fringe.  Think of the upper
world map as a layout of the fringe territories, but "depth" is the
z-axis.  You still walk it, by willing yourself deeper, but you cannot
transfer back to the middle world until you get yourself back down to
the "ground" level.
       -- Burton

--
Burton Choinski
Principle Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce