Planar Travel

Paul L. Ming pming at HOME.COM
Fri Oct 27 22:29:39 CEST 2000

Hiya.

    Here's my 2¢...

> Personally, I have always ruled the following way :
> 1. The "Elven/Fearry/other" Interworld travel spell is just that, a spell
> or spell based innate.

    AFAIK...
    Elf = Upper and Lower World travel.
    Faerry = Lower World travel
    Dwarf = Lower World travel.

    Take a look at that.  What do you *not* see?  I'll tell you...Middle
World travel. ;-)  That's how I run it.  An elf/fae/dwarf can *enter* the
up/low world (depending), but once there, the only way back for them is to
find one of the naturally occuring gates back to the Middle world.  This
keeps these races from simply taking off when the heat gets to much for
them, and then pop back in a few minutes later...fully healed and more
skilled.
    Works for me.

> 2. Planar Travel allows access to ANY WORLD the character has knowledge
> of.  Using other methods of Scrying they may travel with this spell to a
> specific location in ANY OTHER WORLD.  Keeping in mind the "rebound"
factor
> of time, they are free to go wherever they want (if they go to the lower
> world and come back, multiply the time they were there by 300!!! ouchies
> for Mr. Joe Human).

    This is one thing I don't use.  I've adjusted it so that a creature
native to the Middle world (re: Humans) age relative to the Middle world.
That is, if they go to the Upper world, one day is one day.  If a creature
is native to the upper or lower world, *then* the time thing kicks in
(hence, why elves "live forever"; they actually don't live any longer than
humans, but because they are native to the upper world, 64 earth days is
equal to 1 actual day. (in short, a max life span, from the POV of a human,
of about 600).

> 3. Upper world travel is do-able via Astral Paths as well.  I have ALWAYS
> used a randomized roll when it comes to encounters while doing this.
> Essentially you have to follow a Astral Path (Similar to a Mana/Ley Line
> from GURPS) through whatever terrain it goes.  Good frickin luck staying
> alive with creature encounters a base 2x meaner (up to 4x size creatures
> can be met while using this spell, good xp if you live to tell about it)).

    Interesting.  Never really had PC's wondering off to the Up/Low worlds.
Maybe one day.

^_^

Paul L. Ming