Experience option

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Wed Sep 20 05:53:14 CEST 2000

At 09:25 PM 9/17/00 +0000, you wrote:

>Actually, this may be changing as we speak, see below...
>
>>> Will do.  I have to get all my old rules down off Wout's site. :)  I'm
also
>>> going through what stuff I have online, typing it up and cleaning it up.
>>> When I have some new stuff I'll submit it to Wout.
>>
>> Cool and if you need typed up stuff to print out like creatures or what
night
>> just holler might
>> have it :)
>
>Well, I have some interesting monster ideas I may throw at them, and I'll
>post them to the list when I can.

Coolness.  Always eager for new stuff :)

>>> lame.  Obviously, quite a debt load can be racked up.
>>
>> Coolness.  I've not done that for pnp but done something similar in other
game
>> systems.
>
>First person did his character tonight.  I was a bit loose on how many times
>they can re-roll, and I have to admit his character has the potential to be
>a real monster (But them he'll start attracting all the nasty attention then
>:) He ended up with 85 points of debt (i.e. 85 possible successes that could
>go down the dumper).

Sounds like a possible winner...

>Now, with the rolling he did he is fairly capable.  Has 3 specials of note
>-- innate power (Elemental Powers, he took Fire), Shadow Weaver, and
>Property holder.  Coming from Marentia (yea I know.  back to the old ruts
>:), hi has a station of 4.  His special granted him 5600 acres of land for
>his barony, giving him an income of 5600SC per year.

Very nice.  Very nifty.  Sounds like a player of mine years ago had 3 of
that and one was property and royalty.

>Obviously, there is going to have to be a bit of a money sink in there
>someplace -- We figured that "take" comes from landed people with fealty to
>him, or general tarrifs and fees on his lands.  He probably won't get to
>keep it all -- he will have to pay for his manor upkeep, staff, etc, plus he
>must pay some chunk to Maros and the kingdom in taxes.

Yes...that's something I never really could sit and do all the upkeep and such
I just
keep a standard rate ..I think I did figure it out years and years ago a
simple
system (would have to find the chart..hmmm) but if I feel really really lazy
the land is in danger from raiders or such and makes life simple :)

>So now I must come up with some gross macro econonic rules of thumb to work
>with.  I'll be researching this for the time being, but if anyone out there
>has stuff they have used in a similar situation, please, send it along to
>the list.

Generally I did something like 1 tenant or person per 5 acres or something.
 It
has bene years and years though I'd have to find my notes.  I know like
in the old civil war days of plantations it could usually be anywhere from 3-5
people per 5 acres but course numbers may not be inaccurate in those reports
I read back in the '80s.  I'm sure if you did research on say community
farms or plantations there might be stats on such things.  Via the Internet.

>Also, a favor for anyone with a culture book -- I have not been able to find
>mine yet, though I have the map book.  If anyone chould send a scan of the
>marentian pages to me, or at least the population information, that would
>bre great.  I'll put out another population addendum, like I did for Djani
>and some other cultures, and probbaly add more as my game progresses.  I
>don't know what I'll be doing map wise, bue we will see what happens (they
>take a lot of effort).

I'll be sending you land.zip which has all the lands I scanned in mostly word
documents
(RTF) but some texts including all the regions in the 4 map grid near clima
and
marentia.
Just note that some things are odd about the scans when i converted to text.

ewww...pdf...hate pdf :)

>Scans to "burton.choinski at matrix-one.com" (work, I have a real LAN there,
>not dial up)

On its way...