Walled cities?

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Fri Sep 22 21:36:28 CEST 2000

At 02:30 AM 9/22/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>    I'm currently maping out maps 9,10,14,15 (basically, Marentia, Bhamotin,
>etc of that area).  Anyway, I got to cities/towns now....does anyone have
>any opinions about the percentage of walled cities and towns in Perilous
>Lands?  Hmmmm.  I think a lot of the countries around Merintia would have
>'standard' walled cities, castles and keeps ala middle ages.  Any thoughts?

Walled cities are awfully expensive.  Thus I would base it on several factors
1) power of that country (via culture book) 2) ecnomy (how rich it is)
3) history (war with other countries, raiders).

Obviously the more for all 3 the more walled cities.  But for marentia I would
definitely
say at least the 3 main cities on the map.  The forts I would include as at
least a minor
walled area for defense.  As to other towns the common hamlet no way.  I would
say
they'd need a population of at least 3000 and up to qualify.  In germany in
the
middle
ages they'd have central ring of walled cities and forts then the outlying
countried during
invasions would evacuate to those locations at time of crisis.

Also envioroment is another factor.  A city in the Great Southern Jungle or
the
Deserts
would likely not be walled but maybe some form of wooden structure maybe a
form
of Hardian wall dotting the landscape.