pdfing the whole thing

Matijs van Zuijlen Matijs.van.Zuijlen at XS4ALL.NL
Thu Nov 29 21:32:31 CET 2001

On 2001.11.29 19:22:15 +0100 Guido Buchholz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> [...]
>
> As I understood Matijs, he and his group reproduced the first two books
> of
> the main set (Character Book, Combat & Magic Book).

That is correct.

> In the end there should
> be a homogenous set of files of all official published material plus
> existing ´house-rules´.

I should not that our 'version 2' has several Heroes articles, as well as
sections of book 3 incorporated in it. I may be able to provide a list if
I dig.

> The most important thing for me is that the format
> should be printable. Very good printable, that is.

Our PDFs are. We only use printed versions.

> Oh, yes. The technical stuff. I don´t know nothing about html, xml, LaTeX
> and so on (yet), so a little briefing would be necessary. No in-depth
> knowledge, but for example, which format to choose for the inital scan &
> which programs to work with. (I just would have published the scan in
> pdf,
> so much for my knowledge...)

I really like our system, but it's not really easy for the authors (it was
OK the way it grew, but directly authoring the XML code now, as opposed to
just fixing typos, would probably lead to insanity without some authoring
tool). You may want to scan to ascii and then process it with your
favorite tool to create HTML (or better, XHTML) out of it. I can probably
whip up some conversion program to change it to our XML format, but after
that, it would again be rather hard to do major editing on it. Not that I
favor major editing: I would prefer a version that stays close to the
original. Anything that involves major overhauls of the rule system should
probably done separately, maybe using the original texts as a base.

Okay, enough rambling. Hope I made sense ;).