Some stuff on stuff

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Tue Apr 2 05:58:01 CEST 2002

At 08:56 AM 4/1/02 -0500, you wrote:

>||    *  Encounter Distance Variation System?
>||       Burton how do you use this ?  Its not too elaborate.  i have
>||       a guess but an example would be good :)
>
>This was palmed off my old Traveller books (I'm a great believer in rules
>recycling -- I have all sorts of online tidbits I keep around for mining at
>some later point).  This rule variant replaces the standard encounter
>distance.
>
>EXAMPLE: A group is travelling in thick jungle when there is an encounter.
>Rolling 2d6 and subtracting 2 for jungle the encounter range is deemed to be
>"short".  The GM picks a distance from 3-5" as the actual encounter range.
>
>The idea is to have the terrain have some influence. I suppose it could be
>simpler to just add the terrain mod to the distance roll in book 3, but this
>method allows for point blank ("you turn the corner and run into a troll")
>and extended distance encounters.

I gotcha.  Also makes it a bit more realism in terms of climate topography.
Ie a jungle is thick and usually only see 10 feet in front of you if that
but in the desert you could see for miles..makes sense..thanks

>||    *  Simple Healing Chart
>||       Noticed the web page for this had Army stuff at the
>||       bottom is this intentional Wout?  Or just mixed info.
>
>Most certainly mixed up.

:)  I think wout fixed it now.

>||    *  Is your character normal article
>||       Was reading it today.  Anyone agree with it?
>
>That's how I play my character in any games, and certainly how I present the
>NPC's the players run into.

But are you total strict to the article ie weapon choices and such?

>||    *  Missile Reload times - Rules not website
>||       Does everyone agree with these reload times?  Seems like
>||       the way its done once a archer has fired most combats
>||       are done...
>
>Given how nasty it could be to have some archer pumping deadly and serious
>wounds into you, I think it is reasonable.

True.  Just seems like in all those movies the archers have the day won most
times based on their sheer reloads.  What was it the Roman archers could
load and reload a bow in 8.5 seconds according to old records?  Some
history i read somewhere....those would likely be longbows...

>||    *  Attack priority - The chart showing weapon priority and
>||       such anyone use this in a strict sense?
>
>In my past games, and in my upcoming one, I have used this very strictly (PC
>weapon vs monster OCV). I also have the following armor notes (taken from my
>revised equipment list):

I just forget to take it into account alot of times till its too late ...

>Scale
>Leather with thin metal scales sewn or riveted to the outside.  Adds +1 to
>attack priority.
>
>Brigandine
>Padded linen with small leather plates riveted to the inside, each leather
>plate sandwiching steel strips.  Adds +1 to attack priority.
>
>Chainmail
>A long-sleeved coat that hangs to the wearer's knees, made of interlocking
>links of wire. Adds +2 to attack priority.
>
>Plate Mail
>Chainmail with steel plates in strategic positions.  Adds +2 to attack
>priority.
>
>Plate Armor
>Plate sections covering chainmail, with plate gauntlets Adds +3 to attack
>priority.
>
>Elven Scale
>Treated leather with hardened wood plates sewn into it.
>
>Dwarven Chainmail
>As for Chainmail, but more rugged. Adds +2 to attack priority.
>
>Dwarven Plate
>As for Plate Mail, but more rugged. Adds +2 to attack priority.
>
>Dwarven Plate Armor
>As for Plate Armor, but more rugged. Adds +3 to attack priority.

Interesting.  When I first read the rules so many years ago this
system (Att. pri) was the most confusing to me for some reason..

>||    *  Priesthood
>||       Anyone use priests real extensive yet?
>
>Not yet for our group.  The rules seemed pretty clunky.

ahhh