testing, I cant post to group--fixed, questions continue

John Hooten jhooten at BINARY.NET
Thu Apr 4 06:52:00 CEST 2002

oops I seem to have implied that I thought WSB+SB was to be used.
I tried to say I thought bows and crossbows used WSB like SB for deadly
damage dice.
i.e. WSB 4 would do 5D10 damage on deadly hits.

An arbalest is a very slow very powerful weapon so it should do far more
damage not just a couple points.
Otherwise the faster bows will do far more damage in almost all cases
due to more hits.

Bow is 1 shot/phase, Arbalest is 1 shot/5 phases I think.

But you still need the deadly hit to make the big differences and that
is where I think the heavy crossbows were robbed.

But back to my rant...
If a sling and sling bullet used by a strong person..say SB +3 can do
4D10 on a deadly hit.
Why should a crossbow that he has trouble loading do half that?
Or a WSB 3 or 4 Longbow if he had it made would still do only 2D10?

Now historically crossbows were used for high short range damage and
less training required.
Also anyone could load a crossbow given time, no serious strength required.
But normally you shot once and rearmed unless you were behind walls.
Longbows were more accurate at long ranges and also had fairly heavy
pulls requiring alot of practice and effort.
Modern pully bows allow heavy bows to not require as much strength to
hold steady

Ok and now for something that always confused me...
Some say that serious and deady only use helmets to reduce damage?
I never liked that definition but if you assume that serious/deadly
imply finding a weak point or head shot then it does make some sense.
But if so then I steel helm should stop more than 2 points?

The text can be read as only adding to armor on those hits.
It says in the chart--armor/shields reduce damage. helmets says reduce*.
* is applies only on serious/deadly.
To me that says armor applies but you add helmet if serious/deadly.
Also all helms are listed as +x, armor as x so that also implies they
add. Also verified in definition text as the * again.

.