LANGUAGES & LOOKING FOR A PBEM

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Fri Apr 5 20:06:21 CEST 2002

||About languages, and the suggested limit of only one EL 80 language:
||There are places where pleople speak two languages, and|society is nearly
bilingual.
||These socities can produce bilingual people.  And, on the other side, I
knew some
||native English teachers in my city who speak the local language as well as
any
||native.  My first master used to give Em level to anyone who learned a
language
||(maximum of 60 for a language of another races), and from that, people
learned
||more from daily practice (using every day the language in a place where
the language
||was spoken).  I think it's a good rule if you're not playing with high
||characteristics PCs.

Man, I think my group used the 80 native/60 other limits since we started
playing in '83.

I've been thinking that the EL/5 limiter is not very good...perhaps instead
a modifier to social skills based on the EL:

EL      Effect
01-24   1/4 EL
25-49   1/2 EL
50+     Full EL

All modifications are rounded down.

Thus, someone with an EL of 30 uses only HALF his rhetoric when it is
needed.
     -- Burton

Burton Choinski
Principle Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com
phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764
MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com
The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce