Fizzle Magic

Paul L. Ming pming11 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 22 09:58:33 CET 2002

Hiya.

> >  Never thought of it, really. I would allow the Mana to be regained
>fully
> >if a Difficult Will check was made. Failure indicating only 50%(rd) would
>be
> >recovered.
>
>That might work but if its a multiphase spell ie
>phase 1 - 2 mana
>phase 2 - 2 mana
>
>and the enemy all killed on 2 in above situation then the first phase's
>mana
>could
>not be regained...how I would amend it..

  I'd use the total Mana used to cast the spell. My reasoning is that the
spell wasn't cast; in the process of casting a spell, the Mana "spent" each
phase isn't actually "spent" so much as it is being gathered. Once the total
amount has been gathered, there is enough for the magic-user to release it
in order to create the spell. So, the mana 'spent' in phase 1 was still
available to the magic user. Backing up this little theory of mine is the
fact that if a magic user is hurt during the casting of a spell, the spell
is wrecked. If the mana was already "spent" (and not being stored, as I
suggest), why would the spell be wrecked? shouldn't the MU be able to just
continue where he left off? Obviously there is some important connection
between phase 1 mana spent to phase 2 mana spent.

^_^

Paul L. Ming