Death and Taxes

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Fri Jun 21 05:25:51 CEST 2002

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot>http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot
>>ICQ: 24436933
>>
>I would say that if you actually managed to finish the spell and get it
>off, then the spell would continue on without you, albiet without any
>direction from the dead guy.  So the Thunderstorm wouldn't blast the
>occational guy with Lightning bolts and the Wind would continue in the
>last direction you set but I think that most spells will continue
>without you if they're already going.  The Fireball you listed would
>continue on for the second phase.  At least this is how I interpret the
>rules of P&P.  I think that this has a degree of importance, because you
>can't just stop a spell that you want to end.  You have to cast
>Dispel/Banish on it.  If the spell depended on you for some support
>after you cast it, then it might follow that you could end it whenever
>you wanted without a Dispel.
>
>Bottom line, the way I read the rules, if you kill/incapcitate/whatever
>the guy before he gets the spell off sucessfully, then the spell just
>fizzles.  After, he's got it off, then it will continue without him
>unless the description makes a note otherwise, like Darkling Light that
>states that killing the caster will stop the spell.
>
>Of course a referee could instigate whatever House Rule they wanted to
>place.  The rules aren't sacred, they're just one of the foundations
>that you're building your game world out of .  If the Ref thinks that
>magic shouldn't outlive its caster, then he can say it doesn't, and then
>figure out what that does to the game world.
>.

Thanks I was just geting other views.  Just when I first started pnp so
many decades ago I remember the rule of hurt a mage his mana goes poof thing
and just never thought about other effects that much.

As to dispell...yeah I could see a mage jump right in front of a slow
moving fireball "I'll stop it!" waving his arms for a dispell....that
would be a fun time :)