Stupid question of the month

Albert Sales drite_mi at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 25 23:08:06 CEST 2003

A better way to address the aging for me has worked VERY well, however: Retire the Character. By this time, they are TOO powerful. For NPCs, however, just reflect the age in their stats. It is easily done, with some imagination.I agree, reaching the age of deterioration is a rarity, and not easily meshed in P&P.

"Choinski, Burton" <Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM> wrote:None of my games got to the point that aging mattered, but I would probably do something like the following (based on the RQ system)

Upon reaching the age of 40, and for each year afterwards, roll 2d6:

2, 12 = 4 losses
3,11 = 3 losses
4,10 = 2 losses
5,9 = 1 loss
6-8 = no loss

For each loss, roll 1d10 to determine the point of reduction
1-2) Strength
3) Stamina
4) Constitution
5) Dexterity
6) Agility
7) Appearance
8) Eloquence
9-10) No reduction.

Each reduction is by the current multiplier for that attribute, rounded down, applied to the maximum. Thus a character with a strength multiplier of x4 loses 4 points of strength on a reduction there.  Reduction in appearance and eloquence reflect general deterioration of the body.

Optionally, the reduction can be 3 points or the multiplier (whichever is lower).  This allows execptional people (with x4 multipliers) a bit more staying power.

Burton Choinski
Principal Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce