Query regarding Goiden/Fomoria

Joel Yoder jyoder at RCN.COM
Tue Nov 18 04:50:23 CET 2003

Hi, I'm new to the list and mostly just enjoying lurking, but I couldn't
resist a quick comment on this.

 Not being an expert on Atlantis, I don't know exactly how Fomoria is
similar.  However, Fomoria is definitely similar to the version of
Atlantis found in Gary Gygax's "Mythos" game system.  Like the Perilous
Lands, the "Aerth" of Mythos is based on our historical earth, although
much more closely and obviously-it's an alternate history version of
Earth, rather than just being based on it.  I found this approach to a
fantasy world just as interesting as the Perilous Lands, although for
different reasons.

Anyway, the biggest similarity between Aerth's Atlantis and Fomoria is
that they are both imperialistic powers.  They both remind me of
European powers in the modern world, with colonies among barbarians or
bases on islands from which they exert pressure on more civilized
nations.  Aerth's Atlantis is in fact almost a picture of what Fomoria
might become hundreds of years in the future: an empire that once ruled
over primitive people, who have now become powerful and sophisticated
enough to go their own way.

Did Mr. Gygax read any of Richard Snider's work before creating his own
world?  An interesting question.

--Joel