Phoenix

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Thu Oct 16 17:22:44 CEST 2003

The biggest problem that I see P&P "classic" to have is differing rules for
what really could use the same mechanism.  Combat uses one form of die roll
mechanism, while Magic uses a similar method.  Ranged combat has a kind of
odd "bolt-on" flavor.  Skills are resolved with a different mechanism (and
where some are EL based, while others are percentage, how the skills are
handled is also different. Even some skills or abilities (Climbing,
swimming, dodge) have special case resolution mechanisms that make it
unweildy.

I see no reason why a general skill mechanism cannot be figured out that can
apply to all skill tasks. The hard trick has always been to retain the
"cinematic" feel (or "conan-ness", if you prefer) where a PC can take on a
bunch of mooks and have a reasonable chance of making it out (if he is
careful), but not to make it so much so that player characters can
completely run roughshod over the world.

I think a good part of the complexity can be evened out if some of the odd
mechanisms can be collapsed into fewer ones.  An example of this I might
point to is my "target-12" skill variant system, on Wout's site.
         -- Burton

Burton Choinski
Principal Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce