Phoenix (staves and wands)

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Thu Oct 16 22:29:26 CEST 2003

    A mage's Casting Ability starts low but gains with each level, eventually far exceeding the mage's Energy Level which is W+C. Without a magic item such as a staff the mage may never cast, in one day, more than W+C mana regardless of how high the mage's Casting Ability is. For those with a high Energy Level this is rarely a problem, except when at a major battle. Those with a low Energy Level may encounter this limit far more often and need the extra-somatic aid.
    If a mage desires to have a storage capacity the mage may, and probably often does, enchant a mana battery into the staff. If he wants it more efficient and less usable to a thief the use of Enchanted Dedication may help.

        Alex K
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Albert Sales
  To: POWERS-AND-PERILS at geo000.CITG.TUDELFT.NL
  Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 11:58 AM
  Subject: Re: Phoenix (staves and wands)

  In A, it states "The amount that is added to the user's Casting Ability equals Staff MEL x 8." This implies, to me, that the cast ability is increased. It also states, on both sides of that comment, that the amount of mana may excede the normal energy level limit. I have always percieved staves (and wands) as having some storage capacity. I gave the staff a mana regen of MEL/5 (RD) on days that it is used, and added the MEL on days it is not (just like a magic-user).
     Requiring the cast ability to regenerate before use if an awesome idea. However, I now must wonder if they were intended to have a cast ability increase.?.